Christmas, Bombs and the ER (Don't worry, they're not related)

Tuesday, December 27, 2016

Last Monday: PART II

I was getting impatient as the woman bubble-wrapped up my Nativity set.  Although grateful that she was trying to keep the precious carvings protected, my chest was hurting and I was getting dizzier by the second.  "You're scaring me," one of the sisters said as we stepped outside into the snowy Oberammergau afternoon.  It was said in that time that I looked like something out of "The Walking Dead." That night when we returned to our apartment at 9:30, I stepped on the scale and gasped.    

I had dropped 7 lbs in the space of 4 days.  

A few minutes later I started coughing and *reader discrepancy: grossness* coughed out green 
gunk as well as a bit of blood. The amount of blood was small so I knew it was likely not from my lungs but rather from my poor throat being coughed raw, but still I was startled.    I had already called the nurse this morning, but now I texted her informing her of my new symptoms (not expecting to hear till morning).  It was 10:20 and I went to bed.  Then she called us, extremely worried.  At her instruction we threw on some warm clothes and caught the next tram to the emergency room.  I'll let you know I have never been to an emergency room.

Because of difficulties in making contact with people, it was decided that the zone leaders would travel down here from Munich.  I felt terrible about that, but they at least seemed ready for the adventure of it all.

We arrived at around 12 and them around 1. It probably was a 3 hour process of filling out paperwork and waiting in the waiting room, but our zone leaders were absolutely hilarious.  I of course was totally out of it.  I entertained myself by watching the dots in the ceiling tiles crawl like insects. No, I was not on meds at this point.

Finally they called me into the room, where they apparently corkscrewed a needle into my vein and drew out blood for a test.  After I had waited for a time, Sister Franchino ushered the elders into the room with us. We proceeded to wait for probably another two hours with me laying on the hospital bed and the other missionaries sprawled out on the floor, laughing.  At some point a lady came in and asked if they had done a blood test, we said yes, and then she just nodded, did nothing about it, and we were left alone for another long time.  It was probably 5 in the morning by the time the doctor finally came in to listen to my breathing.  He asked me if I smoke ("rauchen") but I in my deliria forgot German and thought that "rauchen" meant "to breathe" so the elders quickly had to correct that mistake haha.  The doctor diagnosed me with bronchitis and then hooked me up to the breathing machine and gave me really really strong antibiotics. 

We were in the hospital till 6 AM, and didn't get home till 7 AM.  Those zone leaders are such troopers-- they were in charge of zone training at 12!   As for Sister Franchino, I don't think she will ever forget her first pday.     

So yeah.  Though I imagined spending my only week of Christmas in the field out sharing the good news, I was actually mostly under house arrest.  I will count my blessings though-- if I had lived just a few streets over in downtown Augsburg, I couldn't have stayed home if I wanted! Many people were evacuated this weekend upon the discovery of a one of the  biggest undetonated bombs dug up since World War II (1.8 tons). I believe it was found during a building project, and though it has rested in peace for 70 years, its exposure to the elements can be extremely dangerous. We were on our toes all day till they finally announced that it had been safely dismantle, but the transportation for the whole city was shut down.

As for Christmas, the celebrations here last three days. The 24th is Heiligabend, and we spent it at members' house, singing songs, opening presents, playing games, and eating potatoes and wurst.  On Christmas morning I woke early and opened all my packages (THANK YOU 6TH WARD YOUNG WOMEN'S AND FAMILY) and then we went to church for the Salt Lake devotional broadcast.  Afterwards we joined the awesome Markus and Alexa for some more delicious German food, a stroll through their several-hundred-year-old village, and learning how to play poker.  Today, we shall be spending time with another member family, and I am excited to see what else lies in store.  I won't lie though, my favorite part of the whole holiday was skyping my family!  I can't express enough how grateful I am for the knowledge that my family can be together forever. Though I definitely miss them, I am willing to miss seeing their beautiful shining faces for a little bit if it means that maybe I can help someone else be with their family for eternity as well!

Add caption


Mosiah 5: 7-8
7 And now, because of the covenant which ye have made ye shall be called the children of Christ, his sons, and his daughters; for behold, this day he hath spiritually begotten you; for ye say that your hearts are changed through faith on his name; therefore, ye are born of him and have become his sons and his daughters.
8 And under this head ye are made free, and there is no other head whereby ye can be made free. There is no other name given whereby salvation cometh; therefore, I would that ye should take upon you the name of Christ, all you that have entered into the covenant with God that ye should be obedient unto the end of your lives.

Love to you all!
Sister Lundgreen

More pics from Oberammergau:

You Might Also Like


Popular Posts