Never a Dull Day

Monday, August 08, 2016

 

This week we took the train to Graz for a 36 hour stay with the lovely Sisters Brinkerhoff and Petersen. Graz is so charming, and sometimes after weeks of appointments it's fun to have nothing to do but just go finding. We also got to help this cute teen work on her Personal Progress,  and then she treated us to some Austrian children's lullabies and Kaiserschmarrn. (Legend has it this dish was created when a batch of the royal pancakes went wrong, so the chef chopped them up into bits, added some raisins and sugar, and fed it to the emperor anyway.)









    As a missionary there are weeks when you have so many appointments that you can't even stop to catch a breathe, and then other weeks where you set high goals but literally everyone just cancels spontaneously on you. After getting home from Graz it was a definitively one of those slower weeks. Luckily we still got to see one our friends for the first time in a while at the fun Relief Society picnic! I am so grateful to our members who are so sweet and friendly to all the new faces. Then, the highlight of this whole transfer was when the 3 amazing new converts finally got the priesthood! As they received the blessed authority, they were then able to lay their hands on the head of the brother whose turn it was next. I have never been so proud of them!



Some other random interesting things this week:
  

1. We accidentally discovered an antique shop and I bought a beautiful little book signed in 1840 from a grandma to her granddaughter May, for €3.

2. I tried a pomelo for the first time. My throat swelled up. So my comps freaked out and told me to drink some milk because the base would maybe tone done the acid of the citrus. I took a swig and only then as I swallowed it did I realize the milk was rancid and curdled. Turns out we took home the wrong milk from the institute center and this one actually expired in May. Oh, and we made pancakes for the district with this milk earlier this week. Whoops.

3. One elderly man made a crazy face/motions to mimic the time he was hyped up on medication drugs. Later that same day, an elderly woman made a crazy face/motions to act out what would happen to me if I got smashed to "nothing" by the top bunk bed collapsing on top of me.
4. Think of some intense deep doctrinal questions... Then imagine someone you've only recently started teaching asking these questions for a solid two hours... And then imagine this being in a totally different language. I learned two things: the gift of tongues is REAL because I understood that whole thing, and second knowing the Old Testament is really good as a missionary because suddenly when someone is making these really obscure references to a verse Isaiah you know what they're talking about and can address their concern haha.
5. During a member appointment someone turned on Pirates of the Caribbean behind me and I about died, I wanted to turn around so bad.
6. For pday we pretty much just hopped on random trams and subways and did random things until we ended up on the banks of the Danube and laid in the grass for an hour.





    Hopefully next week the pace will pick up a little, but I am glad to know that no matter what there is NEVER a dull day in the field. Speaking of which, I am about to head to an African festival, but first let me leave you with a scripture:

"And behold, all that he requires of you is to keep his commandments;
and he has promised you that if ye would keep his commandments ye
should prosper in the land; and he never doth vary from that which he
hath said; therefore, if ye do keep his commandments he doth bless you
and prosper you. And now, in the first place, he hath created you, and
granted unto you your lives, for which ye are indebted unto him."
(Mosiah 2: 22-23)

Ciao!
Sister Lundgreen








You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts