Happy Easter!

Wednesday, April 19, 2017


I am pleased to report that we just returned from Affenberg (translation: Monkey Mountain).  Yes, you read that right--we entered the lush forest with handfuls of popcorn and got to feed the friendly little apes.  Though I thought I would have to serve in a mission like my dad's (Peru) to be able to see wild monkeys, Baden-Württemberg so far seems to be treating me quite alright! 









Notable Notes:
  • We helped fold laundry and then the lady took all the piles we had set on the bed, dumped them on the floor and asked us to make her bed
  • A German argued with me that there are 52 states in the USA... if I wasn't sick (AGAIN!!I?) and my voice not all messed up I probably would've whipped out my proud 4th grade song, "Fifty Nifty United States."   
  • "You know the term redneck, right?" "Yeah, the baseball team?" 
  • Apparently my conversational skills are good enough that people think of me as capable of understanding their thoughts on Swiss taxes 
  • Following church, we spent Easter with a fun family eating delicious food, playing games, and cutting open the traditional lamb-shaped sweetbread.
  • Now that it is springtime, we have loved doing much more streeting! People are much more willing to talk to us when it's warm out.




As a missionary, my bubble kind of got popped.  Though I grew up in a happy family with a healthy body, a big home, a great education, plentiful nutritious food, money to spare for extracurricular activities and cool vacations, etc etc..... I suddenly got on my mission and met people with flat-out horrible situations.   
So what can I even do when someone tells me that they have recently been diagnosed with cancer?
That their beloved spouse is unexpectedly filing for divorce?
That they are being evicted and will have to spend the night in a homeless shelter?
That they haven't seen their family in 2 years because returning to their home country would be risking death?
People tell me things and I am astounded by the unfairness of this mortal life.  More often than not I feel so unqualified because I literally have no way to relate.  I wish so badly that I could provide a solution and make the pain go away.  
But yesterday we celebrated Easter, commemorating the resurrection of One who endured the pains and suffering of all. If only we could comprehend the magnitude of such a feat! By completing the Atonement, Jesus Christ truly learned how to succor His people.  HE CAN RELATE. He also created a second chance for us in which we will, one day, experience no more sickness, no more sorrow, no more death.    
18 months is such a short time to be able to wear the name of my Savior over my heart.  But despite my inexperience in the world and my weakness of words, I hope people can truly hear the depth of my testimony when I say that I KNOW HE LIVES. 

LOVE YOU ALL

P.S. Congrats Kendall and Spencer on the engagement!!! ❤❤❤❤




You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts