Überzeugt

Tuesday, August 22, 2017

If the world were to all come crashing down, my testimony of Christ would still stand. 
This was not something I realized before my mission.  Of course I believed-- what I mean is that I didn't realize how crucial that belief for me was! 


I thought that coming out to serve as an LDS missionary meant declaring to people that Joseph Smith was a prophet, that the Book of Mormon is a true account of an ancient people, that by adhering to the Word of Wisdom one can acquire both physical and spiritual health.  Of course, all of these doctrines and many more are mega-important, and they can and will bless our lives.... but at the end of the day, even they only serve to point towards one great eternal truth: 

THAT JESUS IS THE CHRIST.  

That is what we are REALLY here for. 
Never has a greater man walked this earth. I have talked with atheists, Muslims, and Christians of every denomination.  Whether one believes He was an influential philosopher, a prophet, or the Son of God, no one can deny that Jesus, Son of Mary, the Carpenter, the Galilean, changed mankind forever. He did not need a sword to conquer the planet, because He created it, and because His message of peace could unite people with faith in His Holy Name. 

How incredible to think that the Great and Almighty Being -- by whom the very seas were parted in order to lead the captive Israelites out of Egypt -- was so humble as to then subject himself to the very afflictions of the flesh. He left the mansions of the Father, and unlike Moses He was not raised up in a palace... but laid to sleep in a manger, although Isaiah proclaimed he would be called Prince, yea, Prince of Peace. 

Whilst on this earth, suffering all manner of mortal infirmities, the Son of God learned "how to succor His people." Yet from an incredibly young age He taught those around Him by example. His service extended from providing a more pleasurable wedding party for his acquaintances by transforming water into wine... to healing the son of a stranger whose faith was weak but whose desire to believe was strong. He broke through a culture of justice (eye for an eye, tooth for a tooth) by showing the meaning of mercy.  Every soul is of worth in His eyes.  

I won't pretend to comprehend the magnitude of His magnificent Atonement. Jesus Christ empathizes perfectly with us.  That He bled from every pore, taking upon him the heartaches and pains of every person who ever had or would walk this earth -- WHETHER OR NOT THEY WOULD ACCEPT HIM-- is absolutely mind boggling to me.  A perfect Being!  Why? Because that is how much He loves us.   

This mission is not the end of my spiritual journey.  I plan to spend the rest of my life striving to understand Him better, learning more of His life, His teachings, His will, until finally I can say that I really do know my Savior. I hope there are yet many years left ahead of me, but one day when it is all said and done I hope to fall to my knees before our great Judge and Mediator, knowing that I tried my hardest to follow Him.  


XOXO, 
Katherine (not much longer) of the Alps 
See you oh so soon.



You Might Also Like

1 comments

Popular Posts