Vienna Waits for You

Monday, April 18, 2016

The English night was cold and drizzly as we said our goodbyes and left the MTC.  Though surviving on a mere two hours of sleep, our veins pumped with adrenaline induced by our own excitement. We flew to Munich, where we were dropped off at the station to hand out cards, and then we stayed with our wunderbar mission president and his family. 



They assigned me to serve in Wien and the next morning I headed out on a 5-hour train ride through Germany and across Salzburg. I have never seen so many churches as when I traveled past the snow-tipped Alps. My jaw dropped at the beauty of the rolling hills and sapphire lakes and rich green forests. 


And then into Vienna. Oh what a beautiful city, with its kaleidoscope assortment of colors and its endless variety of styles... From glistening modern skyscrapers to vine-baring cottages... from gorgeous Greco-Victorian apartments decked with intricate gold reliefs to ancient cathedrals whose bells throng through the city every hour.  I first fell in love with Europe when I visited the Mediterranean in 2014, but to drive through this famed land of art and music and then to set my suitcases down in an apartment and realize that this was my new home? There is no feeling like it.  






I met my beautiful and kind companion Sister Price and then we headed out to the street, Book of Mormon in hand.  Now everybody said that going from the MTC to the field would be like being thrown into cold water... but honestly, I don't know where they came up with that, because I love being a missionary.  I mean granted, I don't know the half of what it's really like because I'm brand new, but it is so thrilling to be able to offer to everyone we meet the knowledge that they have a purpose in their life. Yes, we face a lot of rejection, but God gave people agency!  I have loved meeting ward members and fellow missionaries and it was such an incredible opportunity to teach three lessons in one day.  


    The gift of tongues is real, people. To think that 7 weeks ago I spoke not a single word of Deutsch, and that now I can understand not all but the majority of what is being said during investigator lessons and whilst contacting? Wild. There is a catch, however. Every time someone directly asks me a question, I forget everything I know and stare at them dumbly (or else use Spanish vocab). I didn't totally understand what was taught in church, and I can never say anything whilst Sister Price and I are out teaching people because they usually move onto something else before I can think of the translation for how I want to respond. However, I will be patient, work hard and continue to be so so grateful that I am understanding the language during the most essential parts of my day as a missionary.  Ok, so maybe I wished that I couldn't understand whilst a Jehovah's Witness lectured us for twenty minutes and said that our faith was of the devil. But all is good, all is good. It's been pretty funny to have a couple people comment on how we ride horses and carriages and aren't allowed to use technology.   
   Now the journey begins.  The Austrians are such a beautiful, refined people, and it has been such a blessing to meet people from all over Africa and the Middle East.  The blending of cultures is incredible, and I can't wait to discover what Wien has to offer whilst I serve with all my heart, might, mind and strength.  

XOXO,
Sister Lundgreen

You Might Also Like

3 comments

  1. Beautifully written! So excited for the journey that you are on. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE all the beautiful pictures - and I am so happy that you are so excited and love being a missionary!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an amazing experience...it is great to be a part of it vicariously!!

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts